Monday, October 29, 2007

Maryn's Second First Birthday


So the morning of the birthday started out with a bang!! Ford had been up early, didn't want to eat his breakfast of banana and cereal so he decided to mash it in his hair. Then came the bath. Now neither or my children ever pooped in the bath tub until about a week ago when Maryn did. Gross. That is not a fun experience and it involves a lot of cleaning. Anyway Ford decides if Maryn did it then it must be a good idea. So when we are trying to get ready for this party with three kids and a dog running/crawling around poor Sarah is cleaning up the bath tub, the toys, and Ford. While all that is going on I decide to change Maryn's diaper. She escapes before I can get a clean one on her and stands up at the refrigerator to play with her magnets. I run to get my camera to take a picture of the birthday girl in her birthday suit. I go to put up the camera and just as I am coming back to put her diaper on she POOPS on the kitchen floor. AHHHH!! Of all times to do that! So appreciate the above picture!



Ford and Maryn playing while Sarah and I were working. It is so funny to watch them together. Maryn is a bit of a bully. I guess that comes from having a big brother.


Ah the cake fiasco. So I decided to make Maryn's cake myself. I wanted something two layers but small, about 5 inches in diameter. I made two layers of an 8" yellow cake with the intention of cutting it smaller. So I cut the two layers and then attempted to ice them. Well, the icing would NOT stick. The cake was too "crumby." Now maybe some of you bakers (Abby) know what would make it stick- or do they sell little layer pans that I could have used instead? So the MORNING of the actual party I am on the phone with Harris Teeter. And let me tell you, they really came through. They sell a "patti cake" (like the nursery rhyme!!!) for $7. It's 5" in diameter and you can get it decorated however you want!! And when I went to pick it up I found out that they actually make it for baby's first birthday for free!! (but you have to register in advance so I had to pay the $7- after my disaster I was willing to pay more!) And look how cute it was...


Obviously Maryn enjoyed it!!


Everyone else had these beautiful cupcakes Sarah decorated. Not only does she do beautiful calligraphy but she decorates cupcakes! What a talented girl!


Circle sandwiches for our polka dot party. Andrea made the little flags for me with about 30 minutes notice! What a great friend!!


Decorations


The birthday girl and aunt Em. Emily gave her a beautiful cross necklace for her birthday. I'll have to take another picture with it close up.


All in all it was a great party, chaotic, but great. I am so thankful to have such great friends to celebrate my little girl.

She got tons of cute stuff... a couple of things for her room (thanks Arin and Meg), books (Sarah and Ashley), clothes (Andrea- not to mention adorable thank you notes), a Fisher Price dollhouse (Sarah and Ford), cute Halloween stuff (Jodi), and

a kitchen (Emily, Lanie, Ann, Julie Y, Julie F and Lori). Couldn't resist a picture of the kitchen for the grandparents to see.

Thank you everyone for such a great birthday party for Maryn!!!!

Check out the rest of the pictures...
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?&conn_speed=1&collid=708172090107.534972317207.1193798399744&mode=fromsite


5 comments:

The Martin Family said...

Yay for the birthday post! I think you hit all the high points! We had a great time, and I'm sure we'll be talking about Maryn's first birthday for years to come! Can't wait to do it again in a few days!

yellowbritches said...

have to save that naked baby pic for the years to come and the significance that comes with it. that kitchen is a real -buster (famly blog and want to stay away from anything improper but you know what I mean.) couldn't open the rest of the pics. know that Ford's upcoming birthday will be outstanding as well. wish we could be there

Grandma said...

Sounds like a great time! You and Sarah did a super job pulling it all together. Mayrn is a lucky little girl to have such a wonderful mother and a special aunt who worked so hard to make her first birthday such a special treat and what fantastic friends to help celebrate the occasion. I hope Ford's birthday party turns out as well. Happy birthday, Ford! How fortunate Parker and Maryn are to have such a cute little cousin. Again, happy first birthday, Maryn! We love you!

Dede said...

LOVED the hilarious (not at the time, of course) stories of mishaps, but Jennie - you always have the best outlook on life. Maryn is a lucky little girl to have such a fun mom - a polka dot party!! So cute. Thanks for starting this blog - I FINALLY had to join in on the fun. Happy Birthday Maryn - wish we could have been there! We love you!!!

Unknown said...

The party looked so cute. Loved the cake! Maryn is precious and I can't wait to see you all soon.
love
court