Sunday, October 21, 2007

Hooray for Grandma!


Parker and I are sewing curtains for his room. Maybe now we can get the towel down that has been there for two years. Anything to make it darker and therefore get him to sleep longer!


Maryn and Grandma playing in the backyard.


Ready for the game!


On the phone to Grandpop who had to stay home and work. Hey, Grandpop!

Mark's mom has been here since Thursday evening. Not only have Parker and Maryn had a great time with Grandma but so have Mark and I. This was the weekend we were supposed to go out of town by ourselves to Charleston for my birthday but with his test only two weeks away we felt like that was not the best use of his time right now.

Mary Sue, aka Grandma, has been an enormous help to me with the kids and Mark and I have gotten to go on a couple of dates. Friday we took the kids to the mall for a little Chick-fil-a and play time on the playground. Then while they napped I got my hair highlighted, cut and my eyebrows done. A wonderful afternoon of beauty! If only it had included facial, mani/pedi, massage... but I am enjoying my new haircut and color. Friday night Mark and I went to dinner at Macaroni Grill, one of my favorites.

Saturday Mary Sue and I took Parker to Discovery Place (a hands-on museum for all ages) while Maryn napped at home with Mark. Now I went to Discovery Place when I was a kid with my dad, Debbie, and Joseph several times and when I taught 7th graders we took them on a field trip (walked from Piedmont, a couple of miles at least, with kids complaining the whole way and me scared to death they were going to run into the street and get hit by a car) there. I thought it might be a little too old for Parker but he had so much fun! There is a special place just for kids six and younger. It was like a giant preschool classroom. There was a really fun water table that he loved best of all. His other favorites were the snake and the air chair (it lifts you up somehow using air and then you sort of glide back down).

Today she helped me take the kids to the grocery store, a task I usually do by myself, which was such a treat! And tonight Mark and I went to see a movie!!! When was the last time we did that? Any other date night we want to go to dinner so we can have some adult conversation but since we were able to do that Friday... we went to see Rendition with Jake Gyllenhall (sp?) and Reese Witherspoon. Pretty good. A little serious for Reese but enjoyable. I had to close my eyes and ears for a few minutes during a torture scene but other than that it was good.

So... a great visit!! And we still have tomorrow!

2 comments:

The Martin Family said...

What a wonderful weekend! Grandmas are the best! I can't wait to see all of you in a few days and give that birthday girl some squeezes!

Grandma said...

Well, Grandma is back home after a long day of travel, thanks to a weather delay in my Memphis connection. Parker and Maryn were so good to Grandma. I know all grandparents think their grandkids are the sweetest and smartest of all, but mine truly are. What a treat to spend several days with them. It was wonderful!!! It was also good to spend some time with you-Mark and Jennie. I miss having you nearby. Thanks for all you did to help me have a great visit. Jennie, it was really nice to have Maryn's birthday dinner and cupcakes yesterday. I know it was a really busy day for you and I really appreciate the extra effort. Thanks! Tell Parker and Maryn that Grandma is missing them already. Love you!